Catholic Answers Quick Questions

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Jammies

OK, I’ve gotta wonder aloud.  When did pajamas become acceptable fashion outside of the home?

This last weekend I was in Los Angeles for the EOHSJ Western Lieutenancy annual meeting (see previous post).  I stayed at a Doubletree, and one morning ate at the hotel’s restaurant breakfast buffet.  This was not a “free” buffet, but had a price.  I was rather taken aback at the amount of people wearing sleeping attire into the restaurant.

At first I was rather taken aback, and then an old childhood rhyme stayed with me.  “I see London, I see France, I see someone’s underpants.”  Many people, of all shapes and sizes, including a table of 20-something young women.  Let’s just say I had breakfast and a show.

Consider me old fashioned.  Consider me prudish.  I don’t care.  I just don’t want to see your choice (or lack of choice) in sleepwear.  That privilege should be reserved for the closest family members.

And yes, this goes for Mass attendance too. I have seen people attend Mass in sleeping attire.