Catholic Answers Quick Questions

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sweet 16

Recently I celebrated my 16th anniversary as a priest.  It was a good day.  As folks are likely to do, I did a little reflection on those years.  When a parishioner asked if I’d do it all again, the answer was an enthusiastic and immediate “Yes!”

There have been joys that I could not have imagined possible, and I’ve been part of people’s lives in an incredible way.  I’ve been able to tell people about Christ and His love.  I’ve been able to offer the Sacraments of that Love to the world.  There just isn’t anything better.  This always brings me to rejoice in Christ my Savior.  Thank You!

There have been detractors.  There have been people who have decided that I am wrong in everything I do and say, and make every effort to not only show me and tell me that, but spread it around in the parish and in the diocese.  There are folks who believe me to be the most incompetent clown ever to be ordained.  These are the folks who drove me to prayer the most.  These are the folks who made me turn in humble supplication to God for His guidance in my priesthood.  These are the folks who have forced me to spend the most time in front of the Blessed Sacrament in prayer.  Thank You!