Catholic Answers Quick Questions

Sunday, August 22, 2010

First “Pastoral” Decision

Over on her excellent blog “Adoro” tells of her First Formal Act as a Theologian and it reminded me of the very first decision I was asked to make as a new Pastor.

I had just been named to my first assignment as a pastor of a parish.  The current pastor had announced his retirement, and the diocesan placement board and Bishop had selected me as his replacement.  The announcements had been made, and I was on countdown to moving.

The Deacon at the parish where I was to be the new pastor wrote me a long letter giving me an overview of the pastoral and administrative shape of the parish.  He did this at the urging of the current pastor who wanted to get me up to speed as quickly as possible and to help with a smooth transition since I was a first-time pastor and all.

At the end of the letter, the Deacon, at the recommendation of the current pastor, asked for my very necessary decision regarding the use of parish funds.

Would I like them to purchase the longer lasting, but more expensive urinal deodorant cakes for the Men’s bathroom, or the cheaper ones?

Yep, that was it.  Welcome to being a pastor in a parish.

Some might say that my pastoral decisions have been at the same level ever since.